Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has assured that all Nigerians who went to Saudi Arabia for this year’s pilgrimage will be accounted for, following the tragedies that blighted this year’s event.
Speaking on Thursday when he visited families of those affected by the tragedy in Saudi Arabia from Sokoto State, Tambuwal said Hajj officials are working round the clock to ensure all victims are properly identified and documented.
The areas most affected in Sokoto are Illela, Binji and Wamakko local government areas of the state.
Addressing the families during a stop in Jamali village of Binji LGA, Tambuwal said so far, government is still collating the number of pilgrims who died, suffered injuries or classified as missing.
He announced that as soon as the collation is completed, his administration will assist the families in the best way possible.
The Governor appealed to the people to exercise more patience, adding that many of those earlier thought to have died have been sighted receiving treatment in hospitals in Saudi Arabia.
He announced that the state government will tomorrow (Friday) organise special prayers for the victims and their families.
According to him: “As Muslims, we are encouraged to defer to God at all times. In this our difficult period, we’ll organise prayers for our country men and women for God to heal the injured, bless the dead and bring the missing back to us in good health.”
Other communities visited include Gidan Hamma, Binji and Wamakko.