Home / News / Local / Hajj stampede update: Nigerian official, others question actual death toll

Hajj stampede update: Nigerian official, others question actual death toll

Victims of the hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia
Victims of the hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia

Officials from several countries have said that more than 1,000 people died in last week’s stampede near Mecca during the annual Hajj pilgrimage. The last figure given by the Saudi authorities was 769.

A Nigerian Hajj official in particular, from Kano, Abba Yakubu, said he had been to Jeddah, where the dead from Thursday’s crush are being processed, stating that in total, 14 lorries loaded with bodies were brought to the city.

He added that so far 1,075 bodies had been offloaded from 10 lorries and taken into the morgues. Four lorries had yet to be dealt with, he said.

According to Yakubu, more than 1,000 bodies had been taken from the disaster site to morgues in the city of Jeddah.

In addition, Indian, Pakistani and Indonesian officials have also been quoted as saying they think more than 1,000 died.

Several countries have been severely critical of the way the Saudi authorities have handled the accident’s aftermath, notably Saudi Arabia’s regional rival Iran, which lost at least 228 people in the disaster.

Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that Saudi authorities had released photos of 1,090 pilgrims who died. Pakistani and Indonesian officials have also indicated that they have been sent more than 1,000 such images.

As yet the Saudi authorities have not explained the discrepancy in the figures.

Thursday’s stampede was the deadliest incident to hit the Hajj in 25 years.

The crush occurred on Thursday morning as two large groups of pilgrims converged at right angles as they took part in the Hajj’s last major rite – stone-throwing at pillars called Jamarat, where Satan is believed to have tempted the Prophet Abraham.

As well as the fatalities, 934 people were injured.

The country’s most senior cleric, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin-Abdullah al-Sheikh, has defended the authorities, saying the stampede was “beyond human control”.

King Salman has ordered a safety review into the disaster.

The disaster is the second to strike in two weeks, after a crane collapsed at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, killing 109 people.

About Global Patriot Staff

Check Also

Fuel queues ease out in Abuja

By Yetunde Bada Fuel queues, which resurfaced in Abuja on Dec. 4, are gradually easing …

One comment

  1. Nearly 5,000 admitted dead as result of this blatant act of aggression against Iran. A system of Identification card and wristband containing biometric technology that must be carried at all times for quick proof of identity was started in 2013 and it only took the Saudis 2 years to use it as a weapon of war.

    Mossad was given access to the identification system and spent hours digging through bodies hunting out those they wanted to kidnap (if still alive.) And because everyone there had an identifying (biometric) wristband and matching electronic smart card, there is no conceivable way they could have remained unidentified so long. The Saudis have something absolutely enormous to hide, such as complicity in helping Israel abduct over 200 key members of Iran’s government.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *