The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Sen. (Dr) Ali Modu Sheriff has issued a public notice to all PDP stakeholders, members, supporters and the general public exposing the illegality of the proposed August 17 National Convention being planned by the Caretaker Committee led by Sen. Ahmed Makarfi.
Sheriff said that based on the constitution of the PDP, which has no provision for a Caretaker Committee at the national level, the series of ruling of the Federal High Court, which declared the Caretaker Committee as illegal while recognizing him as the National Chairman, and the fact that Article 35(1) of the PDP constitution, provides that only the National Chairman can summon and preside over a National Convention, the proposed Convention by the Makarfi-led group remains a nullity, lacks legitimacy and should be discountenanced by all.
The notice said all acts, publications, and correspondences by or for the illegal caretaker committee amount to putting something on nothing and should be completely disregarded by all as neither the National Executive Committee (NEC) in line with Article 31(2) (a), nor the National Working Committee met to decide on the date and place for the proposed convention.
The notice reads:
Let all Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stakeholders; members supporters and the general public be aware;
1. That under the party’s constitution, there is no room for caretaker committee at the national level that can act for and on behalf of the party.
2. That the illegal caretaker committee purportedly led by Senator Makarfi cannot act for and on behalf of the party and therefore cannot summon a National Convention of the party.
3. That the Federal High Court in series of its rulings had declared the Makarfi caretaker committee as illegal. The ruling of the Federal High Court of the 28th day of July 2016 clearly stated that only me; Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff is the recognized National Chairman of our party; with authority and power to act for the party; including appointing legal representation in court.
4. That the Federal High Court in the 28th July 2016 ruling went further to state clearly that all acts done or purported to have been done by the Makarfi caretaker committee from the 21st of May 2016 till date remain illegal; null and void and of no legal consequence.
5. That by, and under Article 31 (2)(a) of our constitution, only the National Executive Committee (NEC) can convene National Convention and appoint convention organizing committee.
6. That by, and under Article 35(1) of our constitution, only the National Chairman can summon and preside over a National Convention of the party amongst other things.
7. That neither the National Executive Committee of the party nor the National Working Committee have met to decide on the date and place of the National Convention of the party.
8. That all acts; publications; correspondences by or for the illegal Makarfi caretaker committee should be discountenanced by stakeholders; members and supporters of the party.
9. That any gathering organized or called by the illegal Makarfi caretaker committee shall be putting something on nothing. It will collapse.
We urge all stakeholders; members; supporters and the general public to remain calm as we continue to proffer political solution to our present challenges.