Apple Watch lets you order an Uber, check into your flight, make a dinner reservation and now for the first time ever you can open your hotel room door all with the flick of the wrist. Now members of Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), the award-winning loyalty program from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., have instant access to the #spglife thanks to the SPG App for Apple Watch.
Marrying high-tech and high-touch, the SPG app for Apple Watch is designed to anticipate and respond to the in-the-moment needs of guests from mobile check in, to opening their guest room door, to providing information like the hotel address, room number, confirmation number, and directions and SPG account information with just a glance of the wrist.
“We’re committed to mobile and digital innovation and are excited to be the first hotel company to let guests check in and open their hotel room door with their Apple Watch,” said Mark Vondrasek, Senior Vice President, Distribution, Loyalty and Partnership Marketing for Starwood Hotels & Resorts. “In today’s mobile world, people increasingly expect their technology to help them do whatever they need on the spot. Apple Watch allows us to engage with our guests and give them the information they need instantaneously in a simple yet extremely stylish way. ”
A tap of the finger gives instant access to in-the-moment features including:
- Navigate like a Native: Leveraging state-aware technology, guests receive the hotel address and directions in both the default and the local language upon arrival in their destination city. Throughout a guest’s stay, the app shares transportation options including estimated costs.
- Hassle-Free Check-in: Reservation details and confirmation number are front and center, ensuring a smooth check-in.
- Unlock Your Stay: After registering for SPG Keyless, the Apple Watch will automatically send guests their room number and will function as their hotel room key at any SPG Keyless enabled Starwood hotel allowing guests to bypass the front desk (where available).
- See into the Future: The app will display the hotel name, photo, and stay dates for up to four upcoming Starwood stays.
- Track Your Status: Members can access their SPG account information, receive alerts about newly posted Starpoints, and get congratulated when they graduate to elevated statuses
- You’re Speaking My Language: Currently available in English, the SPG App for Apple Watch will feature Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish languages.
SPG Members Increasingly Ditch the Key Card – SPG Keyless Up and Running in 100+ Hotels
In November, Starwood redefined the age-old way guests arrive and check-in to their rooms with the introduction of SPG Keyless, the hospitality industry’s first mobile, keyless entry system allowing guests to use their smartphone as a key. Starwood partnered with ASSA ABLOY, the global leader in door opening solutions, to create an all-new, Bluetooth-enabled lock and keyless software, which are designed to securely recognize and connect with a guest’s mobile device and now Apple Watch.
“We know guests expect service and convenience in the palm of their hand and now it’s available at the flick of the wrist,” added Vondrasek. “Member response to SPG Keyless has been terrific and grows every day as we continue to roll out this functionality around the globe.”
More than 130,000 SPG members in 130 countries have registered for SPG Keyless. Currently available in more than 100 Aloft, Element and W hotels, SPG Keyless is rapidly rolling out and will soon be available on 30,000 doors in 150 Aloft, Element and W hotels around the globe.