David Amusa, Port Harcourt
The Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission (RSIEC) has declared the results and winners of the local government council elections conducted on Saturday June 16, 2018.
Declaring the results at a press conference held at the commission’s headquarters in Port Harcourt, on Sunday, the Chairman and Chief Electoral Commissioner, Retired Justice Chukwunenye Uriri, said that Peoples Democratic party won the chairmanship contest in Abua-Odual, Ahoada-East, Ahoada-West, Akuku-Toru, Andoni, Asari-Toru, Bonny, Degema, Eleme, Emohua, Etche and Gokana local government areas.
Also, Ikwerre, Khana, Obio-Akpor, Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni, Ogu-Bolo, Okrika, Omuma, Opobo-Nkoro, Oyigbo, Port Harcourt and Tai local government areas.
Speaking further, he said, “The election was violence-free. Rivers people maintained their peacefulness. Voting started 8am and ended by 2pm. Thereafter, collation of results commenced. Later in the day, the results of the polls started trickling in from the local government areas. By the powers conferred on me by law, it is my duty as Chairman and Chief Electoral Commissioner to declare the results of the elections,” he said.
- Rivers’ Electoral Commission announces Council elections for Saturday …Commends IFES for establishing Election Support Centre … Governor Wike alleges APC is arming youths to disrupt polls
- Rivers Govt cancels lockdown of Obio/Akpor, Port Harcourt local govts.; Investigates alleged outbreak of coronavirus in Bonny LGA
- Oyo state LG poll to hold on May 15
- LG polls: PDP sweeps Delta council polls, APC kicks
- Gov. Wike swears-in newly elected local govt council chairmen
- Enugu: Stakeholders approve setting up of LG caretaker committees; IMT to be made degree-awarding institution