From: Madu Ezenoha, Enugu
South East, South South Governors’ Forum on Sunday agreed to pursue regional cooperation and integration for the economic benefit of the two regions.
The governors also agreed on political cooperation after a marathon meeting that lasted about three hours.
South East and South South governors Forum elected Akwa-Ibom Governor as its chairman.
The governors in their first meeting in the current dispensation, also resolved “to work together and realign as a people that share common heritage, culture and affinities.”
The meeting agreed to appoint Akwa-Ibom governor as chairman of the forum.
They agreed to hold their next meeting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on August 27, 2017.
The communique was read by Governor Udom on behalf of the governors.
The meeting was attended by eight governors and a deputy governor; while two governors were absent.
The governors present include: Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), David Umahi (Ebonyi), Udom Emmanuel (Akwa-Ibom), Ben Ayade (Cross River), Rochas Okorocha (Imo) and Nyesom Wike (Rivers).
Others are: Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Seriake Dickson (Bayelsa) and Anambra Deputy Governor, Nkem Okeke, who represented Governor Willie Obiano.
Governors Ifeanyi Okowa and Godwin Obaseki of Delta and Edo states were absent from the meeting.
- S/South, South/East Governors to pursue inter-regional cooperation ▪Appoint Akwa Ibom Governor, Interim Chairman
- South East, South South Governors meet in Owerri
- South East Governors, other stakeholders meet in Enugu
- South East Govs, Deputy Senate President, Ohanaeze President General, other stakeholders meet in Enugu
- President Buhari receives South South Governors in State House; Visits Kaduna over security challenges
- Ex-VP, Dr. Ekwueme; Govs. Ugwuanyi, Ikpeazu; Deputy Senate President, Ekweremadu, others at South East Zonal PDP meeting