In his unwavering effort to revolutionize and further develop the health sector in Bauchi State, Governor Mohammed Abubakar as part of his working visit to the Kingdom of Morocco, paid a visit to the prestigious King Mohammed VI University Teaching Hospital where a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at achieving the set goal was signed.
The successful signing of the MoU will immensely help the state Ministry of Health cope with modern trends and challenges for the benefit of the good people of the state.
The hospital has the medical, financial and technical expertise and muscle to assist the Bauchi State Government in organizing and setting up the required and needed infrastructure towards actualizing its desires and meeting its set objectives in the Health Sector.
Part of the objectives of the MoU is to facilitate a situation where the Bauchi State Government and the King Mohammed VI University Teaching Hospital work together to establish an efficient and credible Healthcare Delivery System in line with Modern Trends in the Healthcare Sector and to sustain the same through effective training of the required medical personnel of the State.
The Hospital shall in pursuance of the MoU:
1. Establish a Cardiac Centre in Bauchi State.
2. Assist in the establishment of a center for Cardio- Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Emergency Medical Training in Bauchi State.
3. Establish an Ear, Nose and Throat Centre (ENT) in Bauchi State.
4. Assist in the development and organization of Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
5. Establish a Neuro-Surgical Unit
6. Establish a Cancer Management Centre
7. Train and Re-train the Personnel of and/or from Bauchi State in the specialized areas required to sustain the Health Sector in line with the set objectives.
8. Encourage and Support Research in the area of Public Health.
9. Organize periodic medical missions for the purpose of achieving the set objectives and goals.
However, the immediate agreement reached is to establish a Cardiac Surgery Centre, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Special Baby Care Unit (SCBU), Training of specialists (Doctors, Nurses, Laboratory Technicians, Biomedical Engineering Technicians) all within the Specialist Hospital, Bauchi.
The establishment of Cancer treatment centre and others will soon follow as well.
The Bauchi State Government in its part shall:
1. Make available the needed facility required for the establishment of the above-mentioned centres in the state.
2. Identify the Training and Retraining needs of Human Resource for Health especially in area of BIO-MEDICAL ENGINEERING AND OTHER SPECIALIZED CADRES.
3. Create the enabling Environment as shall support Research in the area of Public Health.
4. Mobilize the funds required for the attainment of the goals and objectives set out in the MoU.
5. Provide the required and needed leadership coordination and governance of the Programme through the Agency responsible for the Health Sector, which shall be the Bauchi State Ministry of Health and the institutions established to enhance Healthcare Delivery in the State.
6. Provide all needed assistance and permission to the Hospital to conduct site visits.
7. Do such other things as are necessary for realizing the goals set out in the MoU.
The Memorandum of Understanding shall be governed by the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Bauchi State Government’s team includes His Excellency Governor Mohammed Abubakar, Hon. Commissioner Ministry of Health, CMD of Bauchi Specialist Hospital, Personal Physician to His Excellency, Chairman House Committee on Health of BAHA, Dr. Ibrahim of the Specialist Hospital and Global Health Consultant mediated the signing of the MoU.