Home / Lead Story / Jos attacks: 20 suspects arrested, 33 victims rescued; Atiku, Governors Forum condemn killings

Jos attacks: 20 suspects arrested, 33 victims rescued; Atiku, Governors Forum condemn killings

Usman Alkali Baba, IGP

 IGP orders coordinated response to protect citizens  

– DIG Sanusi Lemu leads Police Intervention Team

The Inspector General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, has ordered the immediate deployment of Police Intervention Team to Plateau State to carry out on-the-spot assessment and ensure enhanced, coordinated response to protect the community and boost public confidence in the affected areas of the State. The deployment, according to a statement by CP Frank Mba, Force Public Relations Officer, Force Headquarters, Abuja, “follows the unfortunate attack on innocent citizens in Rukuba Community in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State on Saturday 14th, August, 2021.”

The Police Intervention Team, he said, is led by DIG Sanusi N. Lemu, the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Finance and Administration who is also the coordinating DIG, North-Central geo-political zone. The Team comprises personnel of Police Tactical Units – the Police Mobile Force (PMF), Counter Terrorism Unit (CTU), Police Special Forces, among others deployed to protect the communities, prevent further attacks and bring the perpetrators to justice. Also deployed are investigators and covert operatives from the Force Criminal Investigations Department (FCID) and the Force Intelligence Bureau (FIB). The operatives are expected to provide additional investigative, intelligence and forensic support to the Plateau State Police Command in the ongoing investigations and rescue operations.

The IGP, while condemning the incident, has called for calm and assured victims and relatives of the victims of the attack that the Police are working with the military, other security forces and the State Government to ensure that all perpetrators of the unfortunate incident are brought to book.

Meanwhile, the IGP noted that 20 suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack while 33 victims have been rescued.

The IGP enjoined citizens in the affected areas to support the security forces deployed to the hotspots by providing useful information that will lead to the arrest of other perpetrators of the crime and forestall any further attack.

Atiku

By Emmanuel Oloniruha

Meanwhile, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has condemned the attack on innocent travellers on a major highway in Plateau and the killings in other parts of the country.

Abubakar in a statement issued by his Media Adviser, Mr Paul Ibe, on Sunday in Abuja commiserated with the families of the deceased.

He acknowledged that security outfits were doing their best in the current circumstances to make all Nigerians  safe.

He, however, said skirmishes such as the killings and the pain accompanying them make citizens feel as though enough is not being done.

He said that the country should continue to scale up security, promising to give all moral and logistic support for security operatives to face the battle and register victory.

According to him, this will restore peace and safety of lives and property to every Nigerian.

He prayed that God would heal Nigeria and accept all the souls that had been lost to those cruel acts of killings.

Governors Forum

By Emmanuel Oloniruha

Also, the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) has condemned the tragic incident that led to the loss of lives of 23 travellers at Rukuba Road in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau.

The Forum flayed the attacks in a statement issued by its Head, Media and Public Affairs, Mr Abdulrazaque Bello-Barkindo, in Abuja on Sunday.

While describing it as barbaric and senseless,  it said that the killings had all the colourations of several others in which locals in particular parts of Nigeria had become inhospitable and unwelcoming to other Nigerians living in or passing through their domains.

“These dastardly actions of Nigeria’s once peaceful locals which have resulted in unwarranted and needless deaths diminish us all as a people and pulls our country down to the deepest recesses of the absence of civilisation.

“They also cause all kinds of reprisal killings and injurious interactions that do nobody any good.

“The Forum views with extreme disgust the horrible and thoughtless loss of precious lives and declare unequivocally that it must stop forthwith.”

The NGF called on the country’s security organisations to fish out all those involved and bring them forward to face the full wrath of the law to serve as a deterrent to those who are contemplating similar action.

It insisted that no human life deserves to be wasted on any ground; be it religious or ethnic, or even on the frivolous altar of mistaken identity.

The Governors’ Forum hoped that Nigerians would desist from taking the law into their own hands so that the country could once again become a safe place for all.

The Forum called on all aggrieved ethnic nationalities and their militia to avoid needless killings by always seeking law enforcement assistance and legal redress.

 

About Global Patriot Staff

Check Also

UNGA77: Nigeria moving from humanitarian relief to empowering vulnerable population – Minister

By Cecilia Ologunagba New York, Sept. 27, 2022 The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *