Senator Dino Melaye, declared wanted by the Nigerian Police for alleged criminal conspiracy and attempted culpable homicide, whose house had been besieged for 8 days by security agents attempting to arrest him, has surrendered himself.
A statement by Ag. DCP Jimoh Moshood, Force Public Relations Officer, Force Headquarters, Abuja, said that Melaye surrendered to the Police Investigation Team that had surrounded his Abuja residence, waiting for him to do so.
Melaye had alleged that the Inspector General of Police wanted him in custody so that he could be injected with lethal substances because of political considerations.
He has been in political opposition to the Governor of his home state, Kogi, who attempted, unsuccessfully, to recall him from the Senate and is also a staunch supporter of Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, who is in the forefront of opposition to the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Text of the Police statement announcing his surrender reads:
SENATOR DINO MELAYE WANTED BY THE POLICE FOR CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY AND ATTEMPTED CULPABLE HOMICIDE SURRENDERS TO THE POLICE INVESTIGATION TEAM, TODAY, 4th JANUARY, 2019 AT ABOUT 1500HRS
Senator Dino Melaye wanted by the Police for criminal conspiracy and attempted culpable homicide, committed on 19th July, 2018, when Senator Dino Melaye and his armed thugs attacked Police personnel, shot and wounded SGT Danjuma Saliu on stop and search duty along Aiyetoro Gbede, Mopa Road in Kogi State has surrendered to the Police Investigation Team on wait at his residence, today, 4th January, 2019 at about 1500hrs.
- The Police Officer, Sgt. Danjuma Saliu, is yet to recover from the gunshot injury he sustained during the attack and still under intensive medical care in the hospital.
3. The Police Investigation Team had since 28th December, 2018 at about 1000hrs arrived the residence of Senator Dino Melaye with a duly obtained Warrant of Arrest to effect his arrest to answer to a case of Criminal Conspiracy and Attempted Culpable Homicide against him under investigation in the Kogi State Police Command. Senator Dino Melaye on sighting the Police Team locked up himself in the building to evade arrest.
- The Warrant of Arrest was obtained after Senator Dino Melaye refused to honour Police invitation dated 23rdJuly, 2018, signed by the Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Police Command addressed to the Clerk, National Assembly, Abuja, inviting Senator Dino Melaye to report on 26th July, 2018 at 1100Hrs at the Kogi State Police Command, CIID, Lokoja to answer to a case of Criminal Conspiracy and Attempted Culpable Homicide against him under investigation in the Kogi State Police Command.
- The Police Investigation Team cordoned off the building and continued to be in wait for eight (8) days for Senator Dino Melaye to obey the law and surrender himself for arrest.
- While the Police Investigation Team was waiting, Senator Dino Melaye granted an interview monitored on Television Stations that he was not in Abuja. This claim eventually was discovered to be completely false as Senator Dino Melaye surrendered to the waiting Police Investigation Team today at his residence in Abuja at about 1500hrs.
- Senator Dino Melaye is currently in Police custody for investigation, and subsequently, taken to Police hospital, Abuja for medical attention and he is in stable condition. Investigation into the case of criminal conspiracy and attempted culpable homicide against him is on-going.
- The case will be taken to court on completion of investigation.